Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Powder Runs and Trees...Oh My

Yesterday we had six inches of fresh snow to ride.  We headed out earlier than normal and actually ate fast food for breakfast so we could try to get ahead of the Bridger Train.  The train is a large number of vehicles heading out to Bridger...our train had almost 30 cars all spaced out evenly for the 15 mile trip out of town.



We weren't the first ones on the mountain, but it is amazing how fast the 'line' moves...four to a chair and suddenly no line.  Since there was so much fresh snow we decided to break our tradition and head to the top of Bridger rather than Powder Park.  New snow in Bridger Bowl seemed too good to pass up...although I was a bit apprehensive.  I have a love/hate relationship with the top of Bridger Lift.  I love the views, but don't like the steepness and riding down the road.  At least I have improved my gliding skills.

Off we headed down the road until we dropped into the bowl  For the first time I was able to drop over the edge without a conversation with myself...which never ends well.  My brain keeps telling my legs that 'no you will not turn down this insanely steep slope...you will die if you do'.  My legs have always listened and I head on down the road.  However on this day the brain said 'drop in' and the legs listened.  No panic and off we headed down the bowl into lots and lots of powdery snow.  No falls on the steep...cannot say the same for the flats.  Bill had a nice tumble looking back over his shoulder.

After our little warmup in the Bowl we headed to Avalanche Gulch.  Wow, amazing powder in the Gulch, but it isn't as easy to get back to the proper lift...need to take a rope tow back up to get on the Bridger lift, ride back up in order to do the run again.  Since there was fresh snow we decided to save some time and head over to PK (Pierre's Knob) for a few runs through the trees and down a few chutes until lunch...if our legs would hold up.



Avalanche Gulch was the run of the day...numerous times until our legs said enough.  Our
day started out with snow falling and ended with bright blue skies and sunshine.  Stunning!  Tomorrow we are going to try cross country skiing.


No comments:

Post a Comment